Transforming the Master Bathroom Part I - painting hardware and shower enclosure


http://fixlovely.blogspot.ca/2013/11/transforming-master-bathroom.html

When we first moved in to our house, the master bath was a terrible 80's builder's grade purple/blue and white ensemble.

It also had two differently colored metals in it, the brass of the doorknobs, lighting and hardware:


And the chrome of the shower and taps:






















Well this is the post where I paint the hardware! I hope you get lots of good ideas from it!!

The biggest part is prep, prep, prep. Tape everything off, and cover the rest of the area with plastic dropcloths. You REALLY need to overdo the dropcloths. Overspray will get everywhere, and you don't want to have to wash your whole bathroom with mineral spirits. 

So, I taped everything off: 


Don't forget to cover your floor!
.
Overspray will get in your grout and permanently stain it (I know from experience... No amount of mineral spirits or baking soda and a toothbrush will get that overspray out of your grout. I ended up having to repaint my grout.)

I roughed everything up with a light sanding, wiped it down with a degreaser, then I started spray painting!
I did two coats of oil rubbed bronze paint and primer in one, then a top coat of Krylon clear polyurethane.

First coat on shower: 

Second coating on lighting (taped off electrical) and faucets:


Second coat on shower:


I had to have a fan running with the window open! Since spray paint is oil based, it's a pretty bad smell, and you don't want to breathe that stuff... I was also wearing a respirator because the smell was so bad - if you do this, I'd recommend you do wear one too.

I also painted the walls in Olympic's "spiced vinegar", and the chair rail in "coffee bean".

Final results!!

The shower:


The tub area:

I haven't had a chance to do the bath taps yet.
Vanity Area:


And instead of several area rugs for the two sinks, the shower, and the tub, I decided to get one large rug for the floor. I do have  a small white rug that I get out when the shower will be used, so you can see it on the floor there. Usually it is draped over the shower door. 

Twenty dollars at Wal Mart, and here it is!

Pippin approves.
I even made the rug extra cushy (I have a tutorial on how to do that here), so now it's really nice on the feet when standing on tile.

*UPDATE, I finally did the cabinets and the cubby above the toilet! See final reveal of Transforming the Master Bathroom Part II!!