How to make your area rugs extra cushy!

http://fixlovely.blogspot.ca/2013/10/cushy-squishy-area-rugs.html


Do you have a nice area rug that you just love?

I sure do.

But these area rugs, no matter how nice, could ALWAYS do with some extra cushy-squishy! Especially if you stand on them for a while, like at the kitchen sink, or at the bathroom sink. Also any rugs around your sitting area...well, just about every rug I've ever met needs more padding. 

To make any rug softer, more luxurious, you will need: 

- Carpet padding (I recommend this one from Amazon - eco friendly, 1/2" thick, 8x10, and free shipping!)
Unroll your padding, and place your rug on top of it. Using a magic marker, draw the outline of the rug onto the padding. 


You can see the marker line here.
Using some crappy scissors (because padding is thick - don't use your fancy scissors!), cut out the outline of your rug. 

You actually want the mat to be a little smaller than your rug, I went about 1/2 inch smaller on all sides. 

Once you've cut the padding to size, get your velcro.
It will be in two separate strips, one with the hooks, one with the fuzz. 


Line them up, and stick them together.

Depending on the size of the rug, you will need those strips longer or shorter. I cut strips about 4" long for my 4x5 rug, and strips about 2" long for my 3x1.5' kitchen rug. Use your discretion.

You will apply these to the padding first. 
You should have the padding on the top, and the rug, face down, on the floor.
Line the padding up with the rug, exactly how you want it. 

You will want to arrange the velcro so that the hook side is attached to your padding, and the fuzzy part is attached to your rug. (This is so that when you wash the rug, there are no hooks to catch on fibers). Turn up a corner of the rug, and peel the plastic, exposing the adhesive. Press the sticky onto the corner of your padding, about one inch from the corner. 


And peel the backing from the other side, lay the rug on it, and step onto the corner, pressing the bond down. 

(Using my feet to press it down)
If your padding shows out from under your rug, trim it off. You don't want to see the ugly padding when the whole deal is flipped over. 


And flip it all over!

You can see how the padding stuck to the rug real nice.

I used velcro so that 1. I can wash my rugs, and 2. so that my padding doesn't shift under my rug
if I want to wash my rugs, I can detach the padding and throw the rug in the wash. I also hate it when the padding shifts under the rug and it's all crooked and it looks bad.

From the top, you can't see the padding:

You can only see it if you're on the ground, eye level with the rug:


I did this to all my rugs, and I love it!
I'm still not used to such squishyness when I walk on them...
They feel so luxurious now. Totally worth it to do it to every rug in my house.