Pottery wheel out of a fan?


http://fixlovely.blogspot.ca/2016/05/pottery-wheel-out-of-fan.html



Hi everyone!

I recently followed the instructable by www.howtolou.com on how to make a pottery wheel out of a ceiling fan.


I've been taking pottery classes and do not want to spend $400 on a cheap wheel to practice my throwing techniques! It takes about a pound of clay to make a nice mug, just to give you an idea.

So, I followed the instructions in the video:
Took a picture of the wires....

Pulled the wires through the other end of the fan....


Used a hacksaw on the other end...


...attached an old extension cord for power, drilled a hole in a coffee table I salvaged from the side of the road. (this is a substitute for the 5 gallon bucket in the video...) I used an old coffee table because I wanted to have more resistance for centering my clay.

Totally did not have a hole saw, so I used a big drill bit and made several holes, then connected then together.


Here's all the hardware coming out of the bottom of the table, only one screw holding the fan in so far...


And here it is, working!!



So, finally, the big question... IS THIS SUITABLE FOR A POTTERY WHEEL???

Watch my video to find out how it works!


As HowToLou suggested to me on his video comments, I should try an even bigger fan (this one is medium/small). Something for a large room will have a more powerful motor. I am doubtful that even a larger fan would be much different, as even large room fans can be stopped with some bodily force. To throw clay, you have to really throw your entire body weight behind it to center it....

I love this concept! And I want it to work, but I am doubtful. If I think of any way to make a pottery wheel for less than $300, I'll be sure to share it!